Two Types of Scarless Thyroid Surgery:
Robotic vs Transoral Thyroid Surgery
Scarless thyroid surgery is a very new and very exciting development for the removal of diseased thyroid glands. Because the operating instruments are placed through incisions far away from the neck, the patient has zero neck scars and thus the term "scarless thyroid surgery".
What is Scarless Thyroid Surgery?
Scarless Thyroid Surgery is an advanced operative technique where the surgeon uses specialized, long instruments to remove a diseased thyroid gland through incisions placed away from the neck so that after surgery there are absolutely no neck scars. This has many benefits to the patient during the operation, and for the rest of their life.
Conventional thyroid surgery results in a readily visible and undesirable scar in the neck. Alternatively, thyroid surgery can be performed using various hidden-scar or scarless techniques. The two main techniques are the robotic thyroidectomy and transoral endoscopic thyroidectomy. The robotic thyroidectomy uses a state-of-the-art robotic technology for treating thyroid nodules and thyroid cancers whereas the endoscopic thyroidectomy uses endoscopic camera and instruments. Both techniques provide the same high-standard results as the conventional surgery without the scar in your neck. Robotic thyroidectomy has many more options and is the better choice for most patients who want scarless thyroid surgery.
The Two Types of Scarless Thyroid SurgeryBoth types of scarless thyroid surgery are also referred to as "Remote Access Thyroid Surgery" because the surgeon gains access to the thyroid gland via a remote (far away) location from the neck.
1. Robotic Thyroidectomy via the Bilateral Axillo-Breast Approach (BABA) Robotic thyroid surgery is the most modern technique implementing the stat-of-the-art robotic technology in treating various thyroid nodule, goiter, and cancer diseases of the thyroid gland. Four small strategic incisions are made along the skin fold of under arm and breast. Using the advanced 3-D robotic camera and articulating robotic instruments, refined and delicate dissections are performed with an excellent outcome even for large goiters and advanced thyroid cancers. Although technically it is referred to Robotic Thyroid using the BABA technique, nobody ever calls it that--we just call it "Robotic Thyroidectomy" or "Robotic Thyroid Surgery".
2. Transoral endoscopic thyroidectomy (TOETVA) Transoral thyroid surgery is a relatively a novel technique for removing the thyroid gland through the hidden incisions inside the lower lip. Three small incisions are made inside the lower lips for an endoscopic camera and instruments in providing minimally invasive surgery. As a scarless surgery, there will be no scars on the skin and the incisions in the mouth heal very quickly and are not visible within 1-2 weeks.
What to read next
- How is robotic thyroid surgery performed? See photos of the robot so you understand how this is done.
- Is robotic thyroid surgery better than traditional thyroid surgery? In many cases, robotic thyroid surgery is equal or better than the open operation.
- Robotic surgery for thyroid cancer. For many thyroid cancers, robotic scarless surgery is just as good as the old-fashioned neck-scar operation.
- Robotic scarless surgery for large thyroid goiters. A skilled robotic thyroid surgeon can remove very large thyroid goiters leaving zero scars on the neck.
- Robotic scarless surgery for thyroid nodules. The robot is perfect for thyroid nodules of all size!
Become Our Patient. You can have Dr Suh perform your Robotic Scarless Thyroid Operation and have the benefit of America's most experienced thyroid robot surgeon.